Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving Thanks


Today I am remembering my children and grandchildren from Thanksgivings past.  Some of our grade school and high school aged grandchildren are now grown and although new ones have since entered the world, circumstances manage to keep us apart. Thanksgiving this year will be quiet, maybe even a bit lonely, but reading journal entries from the “Thankful Book” encourages my heart.   I read on, remembering joy and gladness:

*  I'm thankful for life going on after the towers fell . . . for God showing His face in America.  I'm thankful for another peace filled day.  I'm thankful for my best friend . . . *grandpa*  . . . FOR FAMILY!  FOR WHAT JESUS DID FOR ME!
          ~ Granddaughter KN
*  I am thankful for: trees and leaves, wind and gushing rain.  My dad, my Mom, my special loving family, coffee and pie.
        ~ Daughter LG
* I am thankful for music and my children singing.  I am thankful for Dow's whimsical smile and huge hair,  walking, fall leaves, snow and my sister's smile.  I thank God for all things, good and bad . . .  God has given me so much.
         ~ Daughter BN
* I am thankful for something for Christmas and I know what it is!  I'm thankful for the song I played and I'm thankful for having fun!
       ~ Grandson SN
* I'm thankful for my grandpa Bud who went into World War Two and fought for our country and I'm thankful for my old dog named Bull.
       ~  Granddaughter GG
* I am thankful for my experiences in my new school. . . . my friends and family, and my little Bible (thanks again Mom and Dad!).  . . and the chances I've had to mirror Jesus.  I am especially thankful for the trust and safety I have found in God.  (P.S. And don't forget blissful mud!)
       ~  Granddaughter JN 
* I'm thankful for all the relatives being nice to me at the thanksgiving we had with my Dad.  All the people were also very nice.
       ~  Granddaughter VG
* I'm thankful for cats and apple juice; for warm blankets and soft beds . . . which is where this very stuffed bird is going to land in a few minutes.  Oh, and I'm thankful for smiles and back rubs, too.  At the very top?  Thanks for love.
       ~ Daughter CG
* Thanks giving, waking up every morning to the next day of my life, for children, grandchildren and a faithful wife and about everything I ever wanted. A full life of memories and love, thankful I can be me.  Thankful the LORD has given me 72 years to enjoy it in. 
       ~ Grandpa BG

Though I miss my family -- those who cannot be here with us -- I walk into this day of Thanksgiving with joy because my Shepherd holds my heart next to His.  He is my help--this beautiful One whose healing ointment of comfort fills the aching places in my soul.  “For You have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.  My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.”  Psalm 63:7

2 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

How lovely to remember all the beautiful wonderfully warm Thanksgivings from days gone by.

This year wasn't bad, either. I'm so GLAD God gives all of us so much for which to be thankful.

((hugs)) I'm thankful for YOU, Mumsie, dear.

Looking to the Stars said...

I love this! You have a beautiful family. Thank you for sharing, it brought warmth & laughter to my heart :)