Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What Makes Life an Adventure?

When I think of adventure today, it would be to travel to the Holy Land to do research on a novel about one of the wise men who followed the star.

As a child though, adventure meant following the creek that flowed through our property. Where did it begin? Where did it end?

I remember when my brothers, Dale and Lawrence, were given the job of felling several forty-foot fir trees along the fence line. As the saw bit deep into the trunk, Lawrence and I took turns climbing to the top, to ride each tree to the ground as it fell.

Branches trembled and Lawrence's "timber" shout echoed through the forest as I embraced the trunk. The tree gained momentum as it plunged earthward. At the very last moment I'd let go. When the tree smashed into the dirt, my hands were free. Afterwards I'd pick bits of bark off my shirt and try to peel the pitch off my hands and arms.

An adventure? It seemed so then, but now I'm not so sure. Even though encountering danger and a liking for excitement is, according to the dictionary definition, part of adventure, there's more.

When I place the phrases "to risk, to dare, and venture on" alongside Abraham and Sarah, I understand why their lives have been called adventures in faith. Adventure really does fit with what I'm learning. There's a risk involved with taking God at His Word.

Abraham's faith had taken him away from his homeland.

Now it's taking him beyond the borders of his tent. I can see him sitting outside, starlight silvering the grass. Is he envisioning the heavenly city God is preparing for him and his family in the distant future? "for he waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God" (Hebrews 11:10). Do his thoughts whisper, "It will be. God has said. . . ."

I know from God's Word that faith which sees every step ahead is not really faith. Yet neither is faith blind. The eyes of faith focus on God's Word. The ears of faith listen to what God has to say. The will of faith obeys, puts a hand to the task, and gets the feet moving in God's direction. I realize now that walking by faith makes life an adventure.

Give us courage to pray, "Lord, increase our faith."

6 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Hi, Mumsie!

I can't believe you rode the trees to the ground that way. I'd like to think I'm just like you.

I love this story, and your thoughts about adventure and faith.

I needed to hear this today.

Deann said...

Hi Eva,
Thank you for following my blog. I love your site, and what I have read of your story is wonderful. When I get a minute I will start it from the beginning.
I want you to know how special I think Beth & Clytie are, they brighten my days with their humor and love. You must be a wonderful mother.
Now I have two comments about this post besides that the picture is beautiful. First, I love your thoughts on faith. My personal favorite faith quote is; "Faith is operating within the realm of the Holy Spirit." Second, you have a lot more FAITH in the tender mercies of our Father in Heaven then I do, to ride a 40ft tree to the ground. When they yell timber I'm in the next county.
Many blessing ~ Deann

Tammie Lee said...

When I read of your childhood adventures, to me it feels as though you have been to the (a) holy land.
That tree falling sounds dangerous! What if the tree landed on you. Still what a great tale! I am still smiling over envisioning that ride.

Marie Reed said...

This was such a deep and inspiring post. My faith was certainly rocked after I lost my 3 year old child... I probably shouldn't be commenting something so personal but.. I miss believing in God. That sounds so silly. I think the time has come to open my heart again.

~Cheryl said...

I keep coming back to look up through these trees! Terrific photo! (to ride trees to the ground gives me the shivers, however)

Julie said...

Eva,

What beautiful observations about faith. Sometimes I am weary and think I would prefer to see every step ahead, but then it would become quite mundane, as it would also be devoid of "adventure". It is in this adventure that we really get to know our creator. Thank you for debunking "blind faith", which doesn't do justice to the daily relationship available to us. Your blog was an especially nurturing part of the adventure today!